Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

christmas rag quilt tutorial

Last year, when I was "homeless" {OK there's my dramatic side again}
the hubbs and I sort of went crazy in buying Christmas stuff for our house that was being built.
Including some oh.so.comfy Christmas flannel sheets...

I was so excited to get these puppies out of the package and get them on our bed...
and then Presley asked, "mommy, where's my Christmas sheets."
shoot, major mommy fail!  I hadn't bought any.  Oops..
I ran to target to get some flannel sheets for her bed, only to find they didn't have any cute Christmas ones to match her room, so I opted for some polka dot flannel, and knew what I had to do to make my princess happy.. I ran over to Joann and bought some Christmas flannel prints in hopes of making her a rag quilt. 

Now, I have never made one before, and had never really been in love with them, but was on a time crunch and didn't want to spend weeks making her a quilt for her bed like I did with her last one.  Coincidentally, flannel was 50% off at Joann {score} and I got a few yards of a few different prints in hopes I could throw something together.

Immediately after getting home, I went to the ole Internet to get some ideas.  Like I said, I wasn't particularly fond of the square rag quilts and was thrilled when I found this tutorial from Dana // The Wonder Forest.  Unlike others I had seen, no squares but instead used strips and there you have it!  I was ready to rock and roll. 

First, devise a plan... I had two different penguin prints that I wanted to be the main focus of the quilt,  I also had some red snowflakes, black and white chevron, pink polka dots... I decided to that I wanted my penguin strips to be 6 inches wide and my non penguin prints 3 inches wide.  In cutting, I added an inch to allow for seam allowance.

I cut 6 7inch strips of each penguin print and 6 of the other fabrics at 4inches long the whole width of the fabric...
 and then cut your quilt batting the same sizes as the fabric strips you just cut.  The quilt batting I bought was from Joann and was on a huge roll and yes I felt ridiculous carrying it to the cutting table but I managed.  The quilt batting will be longer then your fabric strips, but that's ok, don't take the time cutting it to the right length! yet!
 press your strips...
 now make a sandwich.  one flannel strip {right side out}, quilt batting, and another flannel strip {also right side out}
 pin your sandwich together to ensure it isn't going anywhere...
 now's the time to even up those strips... just take your rotary cutter and cut off the excess fabric and batting...
 lay out your quilt the way you want it... I knew mine was going to be a little too narrow but I was planning to put a border around the outside to help with this... but, I got lazy and didn't end up adding it after all...
 sewing a line down the middle of each strip is basically your quilting...
 now start sewing your strips together. 
 front side view..
 back side view...
 I had enough fabric left over to make my own binding to finish off the project... it's super easy to do with a little ironing and a lot of steam...  I cut several 3 inch strips for my binding...  iron {with steam} one half of your strip to the center..
 and repeat with the other side..
 and now iron in half again.  I have no pictures of attaching the binding step because my mom always does this step for me.  I know right! I am spoiled and doing the binding is not my thing, but she is a pro at it.. so it's just easier.  but if you don't know how and want to do your own binding yourself, here is a wonderful tutorial to teach you how.  I know I should probably review it myself, but for now, this little trade works for my mom and I. {don't judge}

after attaching the binding, you are ready to do a little snipping...


snip your seams every so often...
throw it in the washer and snip again... all of those loose threads and what not...

 then get to snuggling...
this little princess is very happy with her Christmas quilt...
 
 
cost
flannel // on sale 3.99/ yard {6 yards total}
quilt batting // 50% off 4.99 per yard {2 yards total}
thread // 2.99



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. That is one of the sweetest quilts, ever!!! I love all the colors and patterns.
    This makes me wish I could sew =)

    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...